Thursday, April 30, 2015

soulmates?? probably (not): freshman dating

I love a boy while simultaneously being somewhat young.

It's kind of miserable, not being able to do what you want to with them.
Not even in a sexual way. I just want to be able to cuddle with him without our parents thinking anything of it. 
I want to be able to randomly show up at his house without "needing a ride" or "being rude by inviting myself over."
I want to be able to have sleepovers with him. Again, not even in a sexual way. 
I want to be trusted enough to ever have him in my room. (my parents have this rule that doesn't allow boys in my room. It's understandable, but they can trust us. I don't get any privacy to be able to talk to him when we're downstairs.) 
I want my relationship to be taken seriously.

Even as people read this, they're probably thinking, "Silly girl. You're too young to be in love." 
We've been best friends for 2.5 years. I have liked him for 2 of those. He has liked me for most of that time too. We didn't start dating until halfway through our freshman year (this year). 

We try really hard to keep on the down-low. We don't really do any PDA.  We don't even hold hands because older kids make fun of us for being so "young" and "immature." 

This is all while people only 2 years older than us are making out in the halls and taking advantage of girls my age. Even the freshman-junior relationships are taken more seriously than mine, and 70% of the time the older person is taking advantage of the younger in some way. 
This is while older people are breaking up after 2 months and dating after only knowing each other for 4 weeks. 

Yes, you can laugh at the freshmen who are dating after 2 weeks, and you can laugh at the ones who break up in 1. 
But don't disrespect my relationship when I've loved this boy for 2 years and been best friends with him for even longer. 
Don't disrespect my relationship when we fight 10x less in our's than you do in yours. 
Don't disrespect my relationship when our's is much happier than yours.

We may be young, and we may "not know what we're doing", but I do know that I really love him and I will for a while. I know I'm happy with him.


No comments:

Post a Comment